Instead of ordering takeout or throwing a frozen pizza in the oven this weekend, you whip up a pie that will have your family asking for more. New York-style pizza is cooked at a real hot temperature for a short amount of time, so you get product that is crispy on the bottom but a little gooey on top. After you make the dough and sauce you can top it with you favorites or whatever you already have at home!
New York-Style Pizza
INGREDIENTS (2 PIES)
- Combine the water, active dry yeast, and sugar to a mixing bowl. Stir and let rest for 10 minutes. In a separate bowl add the flour and sprinkle in the salt. Mix and combine the dry ingredients into the bowl with the yeast. Stir with a spatula until workable with your hands. Once you can work the dough with your hands add the olive oil. Knead for 10 about minutes adding flour as necessary so it isn’t too sticky. The kneading process is finished once you can stretch the dough into a thin film without it breaking.
- Split the dough into two even pieces and place in olive oil coated bowls. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to proof, or rest, for at least 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- In a blender combine all of the sauce ingredients and pulse until mostly smooth. Add to saucepan on stove over low heat or to a covered crockpot on low. Let cook for at least one hour and up to two hours before removing and pureeing until smooth once more.
- Add enough charcoal to you Burch Barrel to cover the grill rack two coals thick and place on the 5th notch down.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and toss into a 12-14 inch pie. If you do not know how to toss pizza dough a quick YouTube video search will help or you can roll it out and then form a crust by folding the edge of the dough onto itself.
- Place the tossed pizza dough on a pizza stone or steel and top with 5-7 tbs of the sauce. Spread evenly on pizza without spreading on the crust.
- Add the toppings to the pizza I have suggested or your family’s favorites.
- When the Barrel reaches 550 degrees add the pizza and let cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Slice and serve!